Your browser is no longer supported

For the best possible experience using our website we recommend you upgrade to the newest version of your browser.

Your browser appears to have cookies disabled. For the best experience of Construction News, please enable cookies in your browser.

Welcome to the Construction News site. As we have relaunched, you will have to sign in once now and agree for us to use cookies, so you won't need to log in each time you visit our site.
Learn more

Fire reports reveal Glasgow blazes caused by welding and smoking

A fire on a £125m arena site in Glasgow was likely to have been caused by welding or cutting equipment, according to a fire service report.

The fire on the afternoon of 8 June on the Hydro project, which was being built by Lend Lease, was in the roof space.

By the time it was extinguished between 2,001 sq m and 5,000 sq m of the site had been damaged. The exact level of damage could not be confirmed, and may have included water damage as well as fire damage.

The report, given to Construction News by the Scottish Fire & Rescue Service following a freedom of information request, revealed that three people were evacuated and one firefighter was taken to hospital with minor injuries.

Fourteen fire engines attended the incident and a total of 40 firefighters tackled the blaze.

Despite the fire, the venue still opened at the end of last month with a Rod Stewart concert.

A spokesman for main contractor Lend Lease said construction workers had worked “flat out” to ensure it opened on time after the fire and said there were more than 850 people on site at one stage. It was handed over to the client, SECC, on 21 September.

A fire at a second building site in the city two days later was likely to have been caused by a discarded cigarette which set fire to plastic.

The small fire at the major Southern General Hospital site was probably due to “careless disposal of smoking materials”, according to the report from Scottish Fire & Rescue Service.

Six fire engines attended the blaze, which occurred in a plant room on the second floor of a building under construction. Firefighters wearing breathing apparatus used a hose reel jet to extinguish the blaze before ventilating the affected areas.

Main contractor Brookfield Multiplex is on site at the hospital under £842m plans to transform it into an integrated children’s and adult hospital campus.

Brookfield Multiplex declined to comment on the incident.

Have your say

You must sign in to make a comment

Please remember that the submission of any material is governed by our Terms and Conditions and by submitting material you confirm your agreement to these Terms and Conditions. Links may be included in your comments but HTML is not permitted.