A man has died following an explosion on a building site in north London.
Emergency services were called to the site at Swain’s Lane, near Highgate cemetery, yesterday afternoon, after the explosion occurred.
A man in his 50s was taken to an east London hospital but was later pronounced dead.
It is unknown whether the man was a construction worker.
The Metropolitan Police force said no arrests had been made and enquiries continued.
The man’s next of kin has been informed.
A Health and Safety spokesperson said: “HSE is aware of the incident and we are assisting the Metropolitan Police with their enquiries.”
Camden Council cabinet member for community safety and the voluntary sector Jonathan Simpson said: “We were deeply saddened to hear a man had died following an explosion on a privately managed building site at Swain’s Lane yesterday.”
He added the council’s thoughts were “with all who knew him at this difficult time”.
The incident is reported to have taken place on a site owned by developer Noble House Properties.
The developer bought the site from the previous owner, the Earl of Listowel, in September last year.
Existing buildings will be demolished to make way for eight retail units and 12 homes.
The developer’s sister company Noble House Construction is understood to be the main contractor for the scheme.
In a statement, directors at Noble House Properties said: “It is with great sadness that a man died in a tragic accident at our site on Swains Lane last Thursday afternoon.
“The demolition works and removal of the tanks was being undertaken by a specialist company, Material Movements, who were instructed by our main contractor and had been used by them previously and are well respected in the industry.
“While the accident is being investigated, we know nothing more at this stage.
“Our thoughts are with the family and relatives at this time.”