Your browser is no longer supported

For the best possible experience using our website we recommend you upgrade to the newest version of your browser.

Your browser appears to have cookies disabled. For the best experience of Construction News, please enable cookies in your browser.

Welcome to the Construction News site. As we have relaunched, you will have to sign in once now and agree for us to use cookies, so you won't need to log in each time you visit our site.
Learn more

Police probe continues in Hatton Garden murder case

Police are continuing their investigations after a suspected murder on a London building site last month. 

The Metropolitan Police were called to the Presman Building at Hatton Garden on Tuesday 17 April, where they found a man with serious head injuries who was pronounced dead at the scene.

The victim was named as 47-year-old John Woodward (pictured), who police said was a builder carrying out work at the site.

Mr Woodward’s employer has not been formally named. However, he is listed as a senior site supervisor on the website of Essex-based G3 Construction UK Ltd, which had been carrying out roof and lift shaft extension works at the Presman Building.

A post-mortem examination revealed Mr Woodward died from blunt force trauma to the head, prompting police to launch a murder investigation.

Detective chief inspector Luke Marks of the Met’s homicide and major crime command said: “Our enquiries have established that the victim was viciously attacked by a male suspect who is understood to have worked at the same site.” 

Officers are still searching for a man seen running from the site around 2:15pm on the Tuesday afternoon who they want to speak to in connection with the incident.

He is described as a white man in his 20s and was wearing a navy-blue fleece jacket, blue jeans and brown workmen’s boots at the time.

DCI Marks added: “We continue to appeal for information to trace a man who made off from Hatton Garden towards Chancery Lane, and boarded a Central line train at Chancery Lane tube station at around 14:15hrs.

“Were you in the Hatton Garden area at that time, and did you see a man running towards Chancery Lane, or otherwise acting suspiciously? We would urge you to come forward as soon as possible.”

A 24-year-old man was initially arrested on suspicion of murder on Wednesday and taken to a south London police station.

The suspect was subsequently de-arrested for the offence and then arrested on suspicion of assisting an offender.

He has now been bailed until mid-May.

Police have asked anyone who might have information related to the incident to call 0208 358 0200 quoting reference CAD 4481/17Apr.

G3 Construction declined to comment.

Have your say

You must sign in to make a comment

Please remember that the submission of any material is governed by our Terms and Conditions and by submitting material you confirm your agreement to these Terms and Conditions. Links may be included in your comments but HTML is not permitted.