Your browser is no longer supported

For the best possible experience using our website we recommend you upgrade to the newest version of your browser.

Your browser appears to have cookies disabled. For the best experience of Construction News, please enable cookies in your browser.

Welcome to the Construction News site. As we have relaunched, you will have to sign in once now and agree for us to use cookies, so you won't need to log in each time you visit our site.
Learn more

Quarry owner fined after worker injured

A quarry owner has been fined £5,000 and ordered to pay costs in excess of £8,000 after blocks of stone fell onto a worker, breaking his leg.

Ian Stanley Bond, owner of Stanley’s Quarry, was prosecuted by the Health and Safety Executive after Nicholas Enston, 47, from Warwickshire, was injured while removing scants – pieces of stone pre-cut into a block - at the quarry, on 22 July 2009.

Mr Enston was manually removing each piece, using a forklift truck to transport them. However a HSE investigation found that the stones were not properly stabilised and as he was working on the block, a number of scants broke free and fell onto his lower body, breaking his left leg in two places.

Gloucester Magistrates’ Court heard Mr Enston was working alone and was unable to call for help. He had to use a nearby hammer to move a lever on the forklift truck and use the forks to lift the scants off his body. He then managed to lift himself up to the cab of the truck and sound the horn.

The HSE investigation found the stones had not been secured properly and that Mr Enston should not have been working alone when carrying out this type of work.

The investigation also concluded that his line manager had not received any appropriate health and safety training and had failed to carry out a risk assessment or put a system in place for working safely with scants, including a system for securing them properly.

HSE inspector, Cath Pickett, said: “As the owner of Stanley’s Quarry, Mr Bond should have made sure everyone at the quarry could do their job safely. Because he failed to do this, Mr Enston ended up sustaining serious injuries in an incident that need not have happened.”
Mr Stanley Bond admitted breaching Section 2(1) of the Health and Safety at Work Act 1974. He was ordered to pay a fine of £5,000 plus £8,790 in costs.

Have your say

You must sign in to make a comment

Please remember that the submission of any material is governed by our Terms and Conditions and by submitting material you confirm your agreement to these Terms and Conditions. Links may be included in your comments but HTML is not permitted.