Your browser is no longer supported

For the best possible experience using our website we recommend you upgrade to the newest version of your browser.

Your browser appears to have cookies disabled. For the best experience of Construction News, please enable cookies in your browser.

Welcome to the Construction News site. As we have relaunched, you will have to sign in once now and agree for us to use cookies, so you won't need to log in each time you visit our site.
Learn more

Two dead after crane collapses on Seddon site

Two men have died following a crane collapse on a Seddon site in Crewe.

One man, believed to be the crane driver, was freed by firefighters and airlifted to Royal Stoke Hospital with serious injuries which are not believed to be life-threatening.  

Next of kin have been informed of the men’s deaths, but formal identification has yet to take place. 

Cheshire Constabulary chief superintendent Matt Welsted said: “This is a truly tragic incident, and our deepest condolences go out to the families affected at this extremely difficult time. 

“This is a multi-agency operation and we are working closely with the Health and Safety Executive, local authority and Building Control to establish the full circumstances of the incident; however, I would like to reassure members of the public that nobody else is at risk. 

“A residential property has been damaged as a result of the incident, the occupants were not injured and were checked over by medical professionals. They have since been relocated while the investigation continues. 

“The bodies of those who have sadly lost their lives will shortly be recovered from the scene. I would ask that anybody who may have any footage of the scene, to please respect the families of those involved.

“Any footage that you believe could help officers with their enquiries, please send to our public contact email to allow us to effectively investigate the incident.”

Seddon is building an 84-bed care home on the site, near Morrisons on Dunwoody Way, Crewe.

Earlier, in a statement, Seddon said: “We’re aware of an incident at our construction site on Dunwoody Way, Crewe.

“At this early stage we are working with the emergency services and authorities in order to provide the necessary assistance.

“We will provide further updates once more information becomes available.”

Police were called to the scene at 4.30pm on Wednesday.

The Health and Safety Executive has been informed and a building inspector has been asked to attend, the authorities said. 

The Bolton-based contractor started work on the site earlier this year and is currently in the process of clearing the former surface car park for construction of the two-storey care home.

Seddon is also acting as developer and contractor on the project alongside Keenrick Care Homes Limited as the care home operator.

The scheme was first approved in 2010, but the project stalled soon after Seddon first started on site due to funding difficulties.

A new planning application was lodged in 2016 for the site and was approved in February this year.

According to planning documents, the site measures 0.87 ha and lies adjacent to the entrance to an industrial site owned by Bombardier.

  • CREDIT Leanne Palin Crewe Chronicle_Crane collapse Seddon Jun 2017 3

    Two dead after crane collapses on Seddon site

Have your say

You must sign in to make a comment

Please remember that the submission of any material is governed by our Terms and Conditions and by submitting material you confirm your agreement to these Terms and Conditions. Links may be included in your comments but HTML is not permitted.