We list the firms which do the most for the environment and are best at being socially responsible.
In the second part of the CN Report, we look at the firms which try to be kindest to the environment, both in terms of being good neighbours to those living or working near their sites and in being green.
How a company behaves in the areas it works in is arguably more and more important and this has been encouraged by the Considerate Constructors Scheme over the last nine years.
Clients and legislation demand that contractors consider the environment in terms of waste, recycling, carbon emissions and water use – and that finished buildings include sustainable measures.
These are the contractors which are the best so far.
How we did it
Construction News looked at how contractors performed in the following:
- The Considerate Constructors scheme
- Business in the Community’s corporate responsibility index
- The environment and responsibility categories of the Construction News Quality awards
- The relevant categories of the Constructing Excellence awards
- The Sunday Times Best Green companies list
- Whether they have signed up to WRAP’s target of halving waste to landfill by 2012
Each contractor was then given a score for each award they received over a number of years and awarded a gold, silver or bronze according to how many points they received.
The contractors which do the most for the environment and are best at being socially responsible
- Apollo Group
- Balfour Beatty
- BAM Construct
- Bovis Lend Lease
- Kier Group
- Laing O’Rourke
- Morgan Ashurst
- Willmott Dixon
THE LEAGUE TABLE SO FAR
Based on people score and environment and responsibility score
|Company||Gold - 3 points||Silver - 2 points||Bronze - 1 point||Total|
|Bovis Lend Lease||1||2|
|Holloway White Allom||1||2|