Your browser is no longer supported

For the best possible experience using our website we recommend you upgrade to the newest version of your browser.

Your browser appears to have cookies disabled. For the best experience of Construction News, please enable cookies in your browser.

Welcome to the Construction News site. As we have relaunched, you will have to sign in once now and agree for us to use cookies, so you won't need to log in each time you visit our site.
Learn more

Fireball engulfs worker at Macclesfield Town training ground

A Cheshire builder has been ordered to pay £6,000 after a labourer was badly burned in a gas explosion at Macclesfield Town’s training ground.

Stephen Rowley, 43, from Macclesfield, suffered burns to his face, neck and both arms at Egerton Youth Club on Mereheath Lane in Knutsford on 18 September 2009.

The explosion was caused when the power tool Mr Rowley was using damaged a pipe containing liquid petroleum gas, with the resulting sparks causing a fireball to erupt.

Mr Rowley’s clothes were set on fire and he had to struggle out of the trench and then roll in the grass to put out the flames.

The Health and Safety Executive prosecuted Mr Rowley’s employer Paul Leonard over the incident.

Macclesfield Magistrates’ Court was told Mr Leonard had left the workers unsupervised when the gas pipe was struck.

The HSE investigation found he had failed to consider that gas pipework might be present, and did not ensure the gas supply was isolated before starting work.

He also failed to provide trench supports and there was no means of access, such as a ladder, to get in and out of the trench.

Paul Leonard was found guilty of a breach of the Construction (Design and Management) Regulations 2007 after he failed to plan, manage and monitor the construction work safely.

He was fined £2,500 and ordered to pay £3,500 in prosecution costs on 4 November 2011.

HSE investigating inspector Catherine Willars said:  “Stephen Rowley could easily have been killed in the gas explosion. Luckily he has now been able to return to work, following lengthy treatment as a result of his injuries.

“He should never have been told to carry out work in a trench without proper safety precautions being put in place. He was working near a tank containing liquid petroleum gas, which was likely to have underground gas supply pipes.

“What made it worse was that Mr Rowley had to struggle out of the badly-supported trench by himself to put out the flames, as Paul Leonard was not present when the explosion occurred.”

Have your say

You must sign in to make a comment

Please remember that the submission of any material is governed by our Terms and Conditions and by submitting material you confirm your agreement to these Terms and Conditions. Links may be included in your comments but HTML is not permitted.