The race for the first round of academies was hotting up this week as cnplus revealed the final shortlists for the next phase of schemes.
Four more academies are now down to their final two contractor and architect bid teams following the award of the £11.7m Kersley Academy contract in Bolton, the first of 28 jobs procured through the North and Midlands framework.
The four new schemes, worth a combined total of £70.8m, include jobs on both the North and Midlands framework and the Southern framework.
Balfour Beatty and Wates have made it down to the final two in the race to build the largest of the four schemes, the £26m Norfolk academies which include the Thetford Academy and Kings Lynn Academy.
Balfour Beatty has paired up with architects Aedas and Wates is bidding with Bond Brian and ACP.
Buckinghamshire County Council has shortlisted Carillion and Bam Construct for its two Academies worth a combined total of £21.8m. These include the Aylesbury Vale Academy and Chesham Park Academy.
The contractors are bidding with Jestico + Whiles and Nicholas Hare respectively.
And Bam Construct and Kier have made the final two for the new £9m free school, the Bradford Science Academy. Kier is partnered with Haliday Clark and Bam with Taylor Young.
Among the next wave of projects due to go to final shortlists on the southern framework is the £10m Portslade Academy job in Brighton.
Other schemes to follow later this year include:
- Colchester Academy and Greensward Academy, Essex
- Nightingale Academy and Aylward Academy, Enfield
- Marine Academy and All Saints Academy, Plymouth
- Ormiston Victory and Ormiston Venture in Norfolk, Ormiston Park in Thurrock, and St Peters High in Essex
- Charter Academy, Portsmouth
- Quest Academy, Croydon
- Winterbourne Academy, South Gloucestershire
- Dartmouth Academy, Devon
- A university technical college in Greenwich
- Gloucester Academy, Gloucestershire
- Oxford Spires Academy, Oxfordshire
The next schemes due on the North and Midlands framework include:
- Sutton High Academy, St Helens
- North Shore Health Academy and Freebrough Academy, Redcar & Cleveland; and Thornaby Academy, Stockton-on-Tees
- Nuneaton Academy, Warwickshire
- Priory Ruskin Academy and George Falmer Academy, Lincolnshire