Boroughs will also be given an extra £100,000 to spend as they choose.
Funding for local schemes is allocated each year by Transport for London in response to applications from boroughs based on their Local Implementation Plans for transport
TfL funds hundreds of local schemes each year, with examples of major projects for 2009/10 to include:
• Central London - the assessment and strengthening of the Albert Bridge, a listed structure currently closed to vehicles over two tons.
• South London - improved pedestrian access to Clapham Junction station and better interchange with different modes of transport.
• West London - £85,000 will help fund the installation of 22 Electrical Recharging Points in the London borough of Ealing.
• North London – Camden town centre scheme will deliver widened footways, new crossing points, and better lighting to make the area safer, more accessible and easier to use for pedestrians. Cycle and motorcycle parking facilities will also be installed.
• East London – Hornchurch town centre in the London borough of Havering will benefit from a range of improvements including better pedestrian crossings, parking and street design.