Your browser is no longer supported

For the best possible experience using our website we recommend you upgrade to the newest version of your browser.

Your browser appears to have cookies disabled. For the best experience of Construction News, please enable cookies in your browser.

Welcome to the Construction News site. As we have relaunched, you will have to sign in once now and agree for us to use cookies, so you won't need to log in each time you visit our site.
Learn more

Contractor fined after young boy hospitalised

Kent-based contractor Supaglazing has been ordered to pay £9,000 in fines and costs after it failed to appoint a registered gas fitter on one of its residential schemes in late 2007.

The Health and Safety Executive said a young boy "was hospitalised as a result".

The company had installed a conservatory at a home in Maidstone, but built the annex enclosing the external flue of a gas boiler.

The HSE said this had affected the operation of the boiler and caused a build up of carbon monoxide within the property.

HSE inspector Lisa Skinner said: "We are pleased that justice has been done today. A 12-year-old boy was hospitalised as a result of this incident. If his mother had not returned home later than usual that day she too may have been exposed to the build up of carbon monoxide and this could have resulted in a double fatality."

The firm pleaded guilty to a breach of the Gas Safety Installation and Use Regulations at the Maidstone Magistrate's Court.

Supaglazing was fined £4,500 and ordered to pay £4,500 in costs as well as a £15 victim surcharge.