Your browser is no longer supported

For the best possible experience using our website we recommend you upgrade to the newest version of your browser.

Your browser appears to have cookies disabled. For the best experience of Construction News, please enable cookies in your browser.

Welcome to the Construction News site. As we have relaunched, you will have to sign in once now and agree for us to use cookies, so you won't need to log in each time you visit our site.
Learn more

Everton await Reds' decision over new stadium

Everton are playing down claims they are considering new plans to move from Goodison Park to a new stadium.
Instead the club insist they will not make any decision until neighbours Liverpool Football Club have come to a resolution over their own plans to move to Stanley Park.

Liverpool are facing tough decisions in the next couple of months over the viability of the proposed ' new Anfield' , with rumours the cost of the venture has risen to £200million.

An Everton source said: 'We really will do nothing until Liverpool make up their minds about their new stadium.'

The club have declined to make any official comment on the new claims but the situation on Merseyside involving both clubs and their proposed new homes is reaching a climax.

Now there are claims Everton are considering a new £125 million stadium 'a couple of miles from Goodison' that will be funded by large-scale borrowing against their vastly improved financial position.

At the club's AGM on November 24, chief executive Keith Wyness made it clear a new ground was still under consideration along with sharing with Liverpool or re-developing Goodison Park.

Wyness said; 'Pretty soon we' re going to have to make our own decision, probably early in the New Year.

'A new build on another site looks as if it could be the most deliverable option.

'We' re now in a much better financial position to take on more long-term debt.

'There are other commercial operators who have been in touch with us and are prepared to work on funding it.'

Wyness carefully turned the pressure on Liverpool with similar comments at the AGM, aware the European champions were having major problems finding investors willing to help build the proposed 50,000-seater stadium in Stanley Park.

Liverpool have had constant opposition to the development and their overall plans for the past four years and have lost public funding in the process.

They are aware they must come up with significant cash by February

or more EU funds might be withdrawn.

Liverpool have been in talks with the Kraft family in the US, and are known not to want to share with Everton despite constant opposition in the city to their own plans.

The Reds' plans will come under scrutiny when chairman David Moores finally sets a date for the club's own AGM, which will now not take place until late January at the earliest whereas last year it was held in early December.

Contact the newsdesk