Your browser is no longer supported

For the best possible experience using our website we recommend you upgrade to the newest version of your browser.

Your browser appears to have cookies disabled. For the best experience of Construction News, please enable cookies in your browser.

Welcome to the Construction News site. As we have relaunched, you will have to sign in once now and agree for us to use cookies, so you won't need to log in each time you visit our site.
Learn more

HSE fines firm for carbon monoxide death

A property firm director was fined £20,000 at Blackfriars Crown Court after a six year old girl was killed by carbon monoxide fumes from a faulty boiler.

Hussein Jaibhay of Amadeus Investments pleaded guilty to health and safety breaches including failure of maintenance and failure to maintain a gas fitting in a safe condition.

Elisabeth Giauque, 6, was found unconscious in a rented house she shared with her family in Castle Close, Wimbledon in February 2005. She was rushed to hospital where she died two days later from carbon monoxide poisoning.

Mr Jajbhay was the owner and landlord of the property at Castle Close. The last service and maintenance of the boiler at the property was carried out in January 2002.

A landlords' gas safety certificate was issued following an inspection in January 2003, which expired more than 12 months before the fatal incident.

HSE inspector Bill Hazleton said: "This tragic case emphasises the importance of maintaining and checking gas appliances. Carbon Monoxide gas is a silent killer, you cannot smell or see it.

“Landlords have a duty to maintain their gas appliances, and it is illegal and highly dangerous not to have them checked yearly by a competent, registered gas fitter. Currently, only Corgi is recognised by HSE to register gas installer.”

Mr Jaibhay was also ordered to pay £35,000 in costs.