Your browser is no longer supported

For the best possible experience using our website we recommend you upgrade to the newest version of your browser.

Your browser appears to have cookies disabled. For the best experience of Construction News, please enable cookies in your browser.

Welcome to the Construction News site. As we have relaunched, you will have to sign in once now and agree for us to use cookies, so you won't need to log in each time you visit our site.
Learn more

Intimidation warning for reinstated workers

NEWS - Sacked workers due back at Wembley next week are told 'do not threaten other builders'

REINSTATED steel erectors will be booted off the Wembley Stadium site if any of them are found guilty of intimidating fellow builders when they go back to work next week.

All 200 sacked workers are due back on site by October 6 under the terms of a supplemental project agreement drawn up by the National Joint Council for Engineering Construction.

The agreement was due to be signed by steelwork contractor Hollandia, employment agency Fast Track and unions GMB and Amicus yesterday (Wednesday).

But the men have been warned they will be kicked off site instantly if any of them are found guilty of intimidating or threatening workers who continued to work as normal while the steel erectors mounted a picket outside.

A union source said: 'Part of the deal includes a pledge of no victimisation or intimidation by either of the parties.

'If any of the lads carry out any intimidation it will be an instant red card offence.There will be no warnings or anything, they will be told 'you're off '.

'Hopefully everybody has got this out of their systems and work can now pick up again. At the end of the day Hollandia couldn't do the job with that picket there.'

The deal hammered out last week will see the men employed under a Naeci 'blue book' agreement with a project joint council set up to sort any future problems.

This will meet once a month but is expected to initially gather every fortnight. Among those sitting on the board will be NJC field officer David Askew, who will be expected to report to his director general Lewis Sampson once a month to update him on progress.

Improvers went back on Monday to carry out site preparation work ahead of the men's return in the next two weeks.The bulk of the men are expected to be back next week to carry out around a year's worth of work on the bowl and roof.

All 200 will be employed under the same terms and conditions before the dispute blew up last month following a row over compensation.

A spokesman for main contractor Multiplex said: 'We are naturally very pleased this dispute appears to have successfully been ended.'