Your browser is no longer supported

For the best possible experience using our website we recommend you upgrade to the newest version of your browser.

Your browser appears to have cookies disabled. For the best experience of Construction News, please enable cookies in your browser.

Welcome to the Construction News site. As we have relaunched, you will have to sign in once now and agree for us to use cookies, so you won't need to log in each time you visit our site.
Learn more

JB director fined over monoxide scare

JB Group director Angelo Buratti has been fined £15,000 over the incorrect installation of a flue liner at an elderly client’s residence.

Burton Magistrates Court heard Mr Buratti had, following a chimney fire, organised repair work to a solid fuel burning appliance through two painters and decorators known as Select.

After the occupant of the home - in Sutton Coldfield, Birmingham - began suffering symptoms similar to those of carbon monoxide poisoning, it was discovered an incorrect flue liner had been used. The repair work also included a number of other faults.

Mr Buratti pleaded guilty to a breach of the Health and Safety at Work Act. He was ordered to pay £3,750 in costs.

HSE inspector Dr Janice Dale said: "The dangers of incorrectly specified flue liners and incorrect installations are well known in trades associated with building and refurbishment.

"This case should serve as a reminder to the general public that anyone they ask to undertake work on a gas-fired or solid fuel appliance should be a specialist in that particular field. This case should also be a warning to traders that they must only undertake work for which they are qualified and competent."