Your browser is no longer supported

For the best possible experience using our website we recommend you upgrade to the newest version of your browser.

Your browser appears to have cookies disabled. For the best experience of Construction News, please enable cookies in your browser.

Welcome to the Construction News site. As we have relaunched, you will have to sign in once now and agree for us to use cookies, so you won't need to log in each time you visit our site.
Learn more

London bombs 'were first British suicide attacks'

The London terror bombings were the first suicide attacks on British soil and were carried out by homegrown terrorists, it was revealed last night.
One of the four suicide bombers was thought to be Shahzad Tanweer, 22, who friends described as a cricket loving sports science graduate, and another of the bombers was only a teenager.

At least three of them are believed to have been British males of Pakistani origin who lived in West Yorkshire. Detectives are still unsure about the identity of the mystery fourth bomber.

Just 20 minutes before blowing themselves up, killing around 50 people, the four suicide bombers were captured on CCTV at King's Cross station, talking casually as they carried their devices in army-style rucksacks.

The images, which were only spotted by detectives at 8pm on Monday, provided a crucial breakthrough in the police investigation which saw dramatic developments today, beginning with a series of dawn raids in West Yorkshire.

Detectives and the security services fear there could still be a second suicide bomb team waiting to strike and that an al Qaida mastermind could have orchestrated the attacks before fleeing the UK.

Sources said there was 'strong' forensic evidence linking Tanweer to the blast on the underground train near Aldgate.

The driving licence and cash cards of another suspect, who was 19 and from Leeds, were found in the mangled wreckage of the number 30 bus which blew up in Tavistock Square, killing 13 people.

He had told his parents he was going to London with friends on the day of the attacks and at 10.20pm that day they reported him missing to the police casualty bureau.

Documents belonging to a third suspect, who was 30 and from Dewsbury, West Yorkshire, were found in the debris of the Edgware Road blast. All three men were believed to have been friends but not related.