Your browser is no longer supported

For the best possible experience using our website we recommend you upgrade to the newest version of your browser.

Your browser appears to have cookies disabled. For the best experience of Construction News, please enable cookies in your browser.

Welcome to the Construction News site. As we have relaunched, you will have to sign in once now and agree for us to use cookies, so you won't need to log in each time you visit our site.
Learn more

London transport gets back to normal

Transport in London returned to near normal today but many workers decided to take the day off.
Tubes and trains heading for the capital in the morning rush-hour were far less busy than usual.

Those choosing to drive in to London found the congestion charge, which has just gone up from £5 a day to £8, was not in operation for a second day running.

Transport for London has extra staff on duty on London

Underground and London buses to provide passengers with the latest information.

A TfL spokesman said: 'We are encouraging our passengers and staff to remain vigilant, to question who owns items that remain unattended and to report any unattended items or suspicious activity to transport staff or the police.

'We're also asking people to please make sure they help keep transport running as smoothly as possible, both by keeping hold of their own bags and luggage at all times, and by taking litter home with them to avoid unnecessary security alerts.''

On the Tube, there were no services on either the Circle line or

the Hammersmith & City line.

There were restricted services on the District line, with no service between High Street Kensington and Edgware Road and no service to Olympia. There was also a restricted Wimbledon to High Street Kensington service.

On the Metropolitan line, there was no service between Baker Street and Aldgate. There was also a restricted service on the Piccadilly line. All other lines were running a near-normal service.

With roads closed around the scene of yesterday's explosions, buses were being diverted but TfL reported that London's bus services were back to near normal today.

TfL went on: 'Regular security checks will continue to take place on each bus and at all bus stations and garages for the foreseeable future.''