The museum, designed by a team including architect Wilkinson Eyre and structural and M&E engineer Gifford, will reunite the ship’s preserved hull with many thousands of unseen artefacts for the first time in 500 years and is designed to enhance the dockyard as a major visitor destination.
The plans for the new purpose-built museum come 25 years after the hull of the Mary Rose was raised from the bed of the Solent.
The building will be positioned over the city’s historic dockyard – itself a scheduled ancient monument – where the ship is currently undergoing conservation.
The design team will now be working with client the Mary Rose Trust to develop the project towards a building phase scheduled for completion in 2011, in celebration of the 500th anniversary of the first voyage of the Mary Rose. It sank 34 years later in 1545.
Project manager on the scheme is Davis Langdon.