Your browser is no longer supported

For the best possible experience using our website we recommend you upgrade to the newest version of your browser.

Your browser appears to have cookies disabled. For the best experience of Construction News, please enable cookies in your browser.

Welcome to the Construction News site. As we have relaunched, you will have to sign in once now and agree for us to use cookies, so you won't need to log in each time you visit our site.
Learn more

MCG to speed up safety inductions

THE MAJOR Contractors Group is drawing up guidelines for snappier site inductions in a bid to stop workers switching off during the mandatory talks.

John Spanswick, chairman of the MCG's safety working group and Bovis Lend Lease chief executive, told a safety conference last week that the length of some site inductions was losing the attention of employees who often see the same messages on a number of sites.

Mr Spanswick, who is also speaking at the construction industry safety summit today (Thursday), said: 'I have asked workers to be honest about inductions and they've said things like: 'The video was good but I've been in there for an hour and a half.'We need to actually get through to people.

'We're working on guidelines for MCG sites at the moment. One is that they should be no longer than 20 minutes.'

Mr Spanswick also said the industry needed to encourage more reporting of near misses on sites.

He said: 'We have to try really hard to get people to tell us about near misses.We have to find out what the root causes are otherwise we don't learn anything.'

All the MCG members have agreed to share near miss information.