Your browser is no longer supported

For the best possible experience using our website we recommend you upgrade to the newest version of your browser.

Your browser appears to have cookies disabled. For the best experience of Construction News, please enable cookies in your browser.

Welcome to the Construction News site. As we have relaunched, you will have to sign in once now and agree for us to use cookies, so you won't need to log in each time you visit our site.
Learn more

Mitie fined £300k over fatal electrocution

Edinburgh-based Mitie Engineering Services has been fined £300,000 after one of its electricians was fatally electrocuted in 2005.

The firm was found guilty of breaching the Health and Safety at Work etc Act, but two company directors and the project manager were acquitted.

Michael Adamson, 26, was killed in August 2005 when he came into contact with a live conductor in a cable on which he was working.

Mr Adamson, a qualified electrician, was working at the JJB Sports Centre and Retail Outlet, which was under construction at the Gallagher Retail Park in Dundee when the incident occurred.

The Dundee Sheriff Court heard that, despite being labelled 'not in use', the cable he was working on was live.

HSE principal inspector Jim Skilling said Mr Adamson was not provided with the necessary test equipment to prove the cable was dead, nor the means to securely isolate the circuit.

Mr Skilling, commenting after the case, said: "The industry's complacency in accepting dangerous practices is startling.

"Michael Adamson's death could have been prevented had his employer ensured that safe working practices were being carried out in accordance with the company's own written procedures. Managers and supervisors in this industry must take active steps to ensure that their electricians work safely."