Berkeley Group’s Tony Pidgley has been named among the industry figures in the 2013 New Year Honours list, becoming a Commander of the British Empire.
Mr Pidgley, the founder and chairman of the housebuilding and regeneration group, is one of several industry names in this year’s list, which has a strong London regeneration and Olympic element.
A CBE was also awarded to Paul Westbury, chief executive of London 2012 engineering consultants Buro Happold. His firm was part of ‘Team Stadium’, the design and construction team led by Sir Robert McAlpine.
Although there was little further mention of the industry’s role in the successful delivery of London 2012, there was recognition for LOCOG head of Olympic Park Venues and Infrastructure delivery David Hickey, who became a MBE.
Westfield’s development director John Burton, who led the Stratford City regeneration, was given an OBE.
The London regeneration theme was also highlighted with a MBE for Ian Tuckett of social enterprise group Coin Street Community Builders, which is focused on regeneration in London’s South Bank including transformation of the Oxo Tower Wharf.
Elsewhere, there was recognition for David Bucknall of the Royal Institution of Chartered Surveyors, who last year retired from the helm at Rider Levett Bucknall after more than 50 years.
His projects included Birmingham’s Symphony Hall, International Convention Centre and National Indoor Arena, and cost managing the restoration of Windsor Castle after the 1992 fire.
Wendy Blundell of the Institution of Civil Engineers was also awarded an OBE for work in Northern Ireland.
Mervyn Richards, whose projects include Heathrow Terminal 5, received an OBE for services to building information modelling and to the construction industry.
David Baker, formerly of the Home Builders Federation and now chief executive of building regulation group Robust Details, received an OBE.
There were also honours for those in the builders’ merchants business, including an OBE for Thompson’s Builders’ and Plumbers’ Merchants managing director Anne Ganley and an MBE for Ridgeon Builders Merchants vice-chairman David Ridgeon.
New Year Honours 2013
- Tony Pidgley, chairman, Berkeley Group. For services to the housing sector and the community
- Paul Westbury, chief executive officer, Buro Happold. For services to engineering and construction
- David Bucknall, chair of the board, Royal Institution of Chartered Surveyors, Global Construction and Quantity Surveying. For services to the construction industry
- David Baker, chief executive, Robust Details. For services to the construction industry
- Wendy Blundell, head of devolved regions, Institution of Civil Engineers. For services to the construction industry in Northern Ireland
- Dr William Bordass, Building Scientist. For services to the architectural and engineering professions and sustainable development
- Anne Ganley, managing director, Thompson’s Builders’ and Plumbers’ Merchants. For services to the Builders’ Merchants Industry and to charity
- Jeffrey Larkin, director power and water Middle East, Parsons Brinckerhoff, Abu Dhabi, UAE. For services to reconstruction in Iraq
- Mervyn Richards. For services to Building Information Modelling and to the construction industry
- David Cyril Elliot Ridgeon. vice-chairman, Ridgeon Builders Merchants. For services to the Builders Merchants Industry and to the community in Cambridgeshire
- Iain Tuckett, group director, Coin Street Community Builders. For services to architecture and regeneration
- Eric Charles Darlow. For services to the UK quarrying industry
- John Burton, director of development, Westfield, and director, Westfield Stratford City. For services to urban regeneration and to the London 2012 Olympic and Paralympic Games
- Rodney Melville, formerly secretary, the Chequers Trust. For services to architecture
- Michael Smith, chief executive and managing director, Titanic Quarter. For services to economic development and urban regeneration in Belfast
- Susan Chalkley, chief executive, Hastoe Housing Association. For services to housing and tenants
- Paul Downie, deputy director, affordable housing management and standards, Department for Communities and Local Government. For services to social housing reform
- David Hickey, head, Olympic Park Venues and Infrastructure Delivery, LOCOG. For services to the London 2012 Olympic and Paralympic Games
- Charles McMurray, treasurer, Building Preservation Trust Movement. Forservices to Built Heritage and to Conservation in Northern Ireland
BEM (British Empire Medal)
- Christine Allen, chief executive, Forum Housing Association. For services to the community in Merseyside