Your browser is no longer supported

For the best possible experience using our website we recommend you upgrade to the newest version of your browser.

Your browser appears to have cookies disabled. For the best experience of Construction News, please enable cookies in your browser.

Welcome to the Construction News site. As we have relaunched, you will have to sign in once now and agree for us to use cookies, so you won't need to log in each time you visit our site.
Learn more

Tay axes staff and tells them to become subbies

LEEDS-based house builder Tay Homes is dodging the shift to direct employment by forcing its workers to become subcontractors.

The firm is slashing its workforce with redundancies at all its sites and has sent a letter formally notifying its workforce.

The letter states: 'It is proposed that the first of the redundancies will take effect on June 28 1999.

'As it is proposed that the company will no longer employ direct labour, selection for redundancy will not be required.'

Construction union Ucatt is advising the workers and meeting Tay Homes' construction director designate, Mick Laycock, today (Thursday).

Derek Johnson, Ucatt's northern regional secretary, said: 'Our solicitor believes the men have cases for unfair dismissal because the work is still there.

'Some men have been told that they will be coming back as subbies. If this happens, there will be a case for unfair dismissal.'

The Inland Revenue will meet Tay Homes on July 7 to discuss the move. No one at the company was available to comment.

Tarmac's labour services arm, NCS, faces an employment tribunal in Reading on July 12 over the dismissal of three workers. Trevor Greenaway, David Greenaway and Andrew Lines left NCS last year without notice, holiday pay or redundancy.