Your browser is no longer supported

For the best possible experience using our website we recommend you upgrade to the newest version of your browser.

Your browser appears to have cookies disabled. For the best experience of Construction News, please enable cookies in your browser.

Welcome to the Construction News site. As we have relaunched, you will have to sign in once now and agree for us to use cookies, so you won't need to log in each time you visit our site.
Learn more

Wealth of bidders for £60k houses

Around 20 teams line up to fight for English Partnerships' Milton Keynes pilot

THE BATTLE for English Partnerships' £60,000 homes competition in Milton Keynes is hotting up with around 20 teams now bidding for the work.

The regeneration agency had been bracing itself for a number of withdrawals.Construction News understands 19 teams got their bids in by last Friday's deadline.

An original 33 had been shortlisted to work up bids, but two teams pulled out of the race before bids were due back.

English Partnerships was forced to extend its original July 1 deadline by two weeks after firms complained they had not been given enough time to work up bids.

One team that did not bid, and asked not to be named, said: 'It was too much paperwork.They wanted an awful lot of detail and we didn't think it was worth it in the end.'

But one group that did tender said: 'I think English Partnerships will be happy with what they've got given the huge amount of work we had to do.

'But I know some teams were really pushed and that makes me think there will be a wide difference in quality.'

Trevor Beattie, corporate strategy director at English Partnerships, said: 'I'm very pleased with the number of submissions we received.Six weeks'worth of work from a large number of builders has just arrived so as you would expect there is a lot to do.'

The bids being judged are for the Oxley Park site in Milton Keynes but shortlisted teams will get the chance to bid for a further nine sites with 1,000 homes planned in total.

Mr Beattie added: 'The panel of judges will make its decision as to who progresses to the next round and we will make an announcement in the next few weeks. We expect there to be around a dozen firms, depending on the quality of entries.'

The public will also be given a chance to comment on the designs when they are posted on the internet.Preferred bidders for the 10 sites will be announced at the end of the year.