Your browser is no longer supported

For the best possible experience using our website we recommend you upgrade to the newest version of your browser.

Your browser appears to have cookies disabled. For the best experience of Construction News, please enable cookies in your browser.

Welcome to the Construction News site. As we have relaunched, you will have to sign in once now and agree for us to use cookies, so you won't need to log in each time you visit our site.
Learn more

Workers urged to take up a pension

NEWS

CONSTRUCTION industry benefits provider B&CE is pushing to get site workers to take up a pension.

The group, which was holding its first ever fringe meeting at the Labour Party conference in Brighton on Monday, is planning to see up to 8,000 workers in the next 12 months.

B&CE carried out a pilot exercise last year when it made 50 presentations to workers with 30 per cent of those attending starting a scheme Chief executive Brian Griffiths said: 'There is a lot more interest in pensions now but we have some way to go and it is going to take several years of hard work.'

The campaign will be carried out by B&CE regional executives who will see operatives in batches of 10 to15 at a time.

News of B&CE's pensions drive was welcomed by pensions minister Malcolm Wicks who told the meeting: 'B&CE has got one of the best stake holder pension schemes in this country.

'The big question is how we ensure more and more British workers are members of decent occupational pension schemes.

'Many millions are not in these schemes and either voluntary schemes have to work or people face poverty and we look at compulsory schemes.'

Ucatt general secretary George Brumwell said: 'We have to keep hammering away at this.There probably is a case for compulsory pension schemes because of the unsettled situation we have got in construction where 65 per cent of workers don't have a pension.'