Your browser is no longer supported

For the best possible experience using our website we recommend you upgrade to the newest version of your browser.

Your browser appears to have cookies disabled. For the best experience of Construction News, please enable cookies in your browser.

Welcome to the Construction News site. As we have relaunched, you will have to sign in once now and agree for us to use cookies, so you won't need to log in each time you visit our site.
Learn more

Argent’s 1,000-home Tottenham scheme gets go-ahead

Argent Related’s plan to deliver more than 1,000 houses and commercial space in Tottenham Hale has been approved by Haringey Council.

Six new buildings will be constructed next to Tottenham Hale station, which will include 1,030 homes, 20 retail spaces, a health centre, office space and new public realms.

The homes will be a mix of 131 council-owned for rent, private rental and market sale units.

The planning application was narrowly approved by six votes to five at a meeting on Monday (10 December) night.

Some nearby residents have raised concerns about the number of affordable homes and forecasts made about the number of families that will live in the new development, which they believe are too low and could lead to overcrowding.

A spokeswoman for Argent Related said the occupancy forecasts had been sign off by Haringey Council and the Greater London Authority and that the council had endorsed the overall plan for “creating high quality living”.

The scheme has been in the works since 2016 when Argent Related signed a development partnership deal with Haringey Council.

Argent Related said it had worked with councillors, planning officers, local residents and businesses in designing the scheme.

Director Tom Goodall said the company was “pleased the council and local people have put their trust in Argent Related” to deliver the scheme.

Haringey’s decision on the Tottenham Hale site will now be considered by the mayor of London who can allow the approval to stand, reject it or take over the decision.

Earlier this year a £2bn redevelopment scheme in the borough led by a joint venture between Haringey council and Lendlease was axed by the council after strong opposition from residents and Labour councillors.

Criticism focused on the proportion of affordable housing and the transfer of council assets out of “100 per cent public ownership”.

Construction on the Tottenham Hale site could start next summer with the first homes completed by the end of 2020. The whole scheme is expected to take six years to complete.

The council has been contacted for comment.

Have your say

You must sign in to make a comment

Please remember that the submission of any material is governed by our Terms and Conditions and by submitting material you confirm your agreement to these Terms and Conditions. Links may be included in your comments but HTML is not permitted.