The Olympic Delivery Authority has unveiled designs for the media centre at the Olympic Park in Stratford, East London, which will leave 900,000 sq ft of business space in legacy.
The two elements of the centre, the International Broadcast Centre and the Main Press Centre, are made of a mixture of permanent and temporary elements, designed to be as flexible as possible to accommodate a range of legacy tenants and uses.
A planning application for the IBC/MPC has been submitted this week, the site has been cleared and the main contractor Carillion is currently preparing to start construction on track this spring.
ODA chairman John Armitt said: “This innovative design provides a quality working environment for the media during the Games while delivering flexible and green employment space for a range of potential business uses in legacy.”
The London Development Agency is leading the legacy planning.
The MPC includes:
- 29,000 sq m of green office space by the River Lea Navigation, providing four storeys of workspace for journalists and photographers during the Games.
- Innovatively designed flexibility that enables the building to be adapted in legacy for either a single tenant in the whole building or on each floor, as well as multiple tenants on each floor.
- A connected single strip of single storey buildings facing the canal that can be separated into ‘mews’ accommodation in legacy offering another type of business space in legacy.
- 2,500 sq m ‘brown roof’ of gravel and moss to encourage invertebrates; 60 per cent of non-drinking water to be collected from across the Olympic Park; habitats including over 100 bird and bat boxes.
The IBC includes:
- around 50,000 square metres of studio space of two 8-10m high floors during the Games with a temporary gantry running along the building for technical equipment.
- 8000 square metres of offices over five floors at the front of the building.
- The flexibility in legacy to be separated into a number of units and for design features to be altered such as cladding replaced with windows.