Costain is one of 33 firms competing for £250m of government funding to develop mini-nuclear reactors in the UK, Construction News can reveal.
It is the only contractor to have past the first round of the government’s small modular reactor competition.
Other successful companies include Amec Foster Wheeler, Atkins and Bechtel.
They will now compete to become one of the government’s design partners, which will design and develop the country’s first small modular reactor plant.
The government is looking to develop SMR technology that could be rolled out in a series of power plants over the next 20 years.
The competition, which launched in March, has a a series of rounds, with the winners expected to be unveiled in late 2017.
The Treasury has committed £250m to an SMR development fund to support the competition and future development of a UK SMR.
Are small modular reactors the future? Read CN’s analysis here
The list contains a number of major nuclear firms including Westinghouse, NuScale Power, Rolls-Royce and Wylfa developers Hitachi GE.
EDF Energy is also on the list, alongside two entries from China’s state-backed nuclear firm, China National Nuclear Corporation.
In 2015, the National Nuclear Laboratory said NuScale, Westinghouse, mPower and CNNC, which are all on the list, should develop their SMR designs further.
Full list of firms to get through first round of SMR competition
- Algometrics, Advanced Hybrid Small Modular Reactor.
- Amec-Foster Wheeler.
- Advanced Reactor Concepts LLC, ARC-100 advanced SMR (aSMR).
- Bechtel Management Company, Generation mPower Small Modular Reactor
- China National Nuclear Corporation, ACP100 Small Modular Reactor
- China National Nuclear Corporation, ACP100+ Small Modular Reactor
- Critical Path Energy
- EDF Energy, EDF Energy SMR
- Empresarios Agrupados Internacional SA
- Ernst & Young
- Frazer-Nash Consultancy
- GE-Hitachi Nuclear Energy International LLC, Prism SMR
- Holtec International, SMR-160
- Hydromine Nuclear Energy S.a.r.l., LFR-AS-200
- LeadCold Reactors, Sealer-UK
- Moltex Energy, Stable Salt Reactor (SSR)
- Nuclear Advanced Manufacturing Research Centre (NAMRC)
- Nuclear Cogeneration Industrial Initiative, Gemini
- National Nuclear Laboratory
- NuScale Power LLC, NuScale Power – A UK-US SMR Collaboration
- Penultimate Power UK
- Rolls-Royce, UK SMR
- Sainc Energy, Innovative SMR
- Sheffield Forgemasters International
- GF Nuclear, The SMART
- Terrestrial Energy Incorporated, Integral Molten Salt Reactor (IMSR)
- Tokamak Energy, Small Modular Fusion Power
- TWI UK
- Urenco, U-Battery
- Westinghouse Electric Company UK, Westinghouse SMR