A debate to discuss the future of the mammoth £4bn Palace of Westminster restoration has been delayed once again.
A debate had been scheduled for 11 January for MPs to discuss whether to decant, partially decant or stay put in the Houses of Parliament while the restoration takes place.
However, the debate has been delayed until further notice.
A decision on the future of the restoration has long been anticipated since a parliamentary committee report recommended a full decant in September 2016.
A government source told Construction News in March 2017 that MPs were expected to debate the issue the following month.
But the snap general election called by Theresa May in April meant the debate would “have to wait” and would not take place in that parliament, a Cabinet Office spokesman told CN at the time.
A date was finally set in November last year for the debate to be held next Thursday, but this has now been pushed back again.
A Cabinet Office spokesman said: “The leader of the House of Commons [Angela Leadsom] received representations from a backbench list requesting that the debate take place on a different day that we are happy to accommodate.”
He added a date would be set in “due course” but no confirmed date has been given.
Construction News revealed in July last year that CH2M had scooped the contract to manage the restoration.
The US engineering giant beat rivals Arcadis, Aecom / Mace, Capita Property Infrastructure / Gleeds Cost Management, and Turner & Townsend to the programme, project and cost management services contract.
The award came more than a year-and-a-half after the firms were shortlisted for the programme management contract.
At the time the programme management contract and the architectural and building contract were believed to hold a combined value of up to £30m.