Your browser is no longer supported

For the best possible experience using our website we recommend you upgrade to the newest version of your browser.

Your browser appears to have cookies disabled. For the best experience of Construction News, please enable cookies in your browser.

Welcome to the Construction News site. As we have relaunched, you will have to sign in once now and agree for us to use cookies, so you won't need to log in each time you visit our site.
Learn more

Work halted at Aberdeen's Marischal Square over access concerns

Construction work at Morgan Sindall’s £107m Marischal Square development in Aberdeen has been halted due to concerns over waste material blocking access to the site.

Morgan Sindall took the decision to temporarily stand down work on the site in central Aberdeen on 7 April to review the handling of waste materials.

The hiatus in work was the second in three months at the project after a forklift truck collided with fencing on the site in February.

The controversial £107m Marischal Square scheme has seen Morgan Sindall construct a modern mixed-use scheme around the 500-year-old Provost Skene’s House.

St Nicholas House, a 14-storey office block occupied by Aberdeen City Council, previously sat on the site, but was demolished in 2014 to make way for the new development.

A spokesperson for Morgan Sindall said: ”The day-to-day operation of busy city centre construction sites inevitably results in the generation of waste material. Our procedures relating to the safe storage and appropriate disposal of this material are reviewed regularly as a matter of course, as part of our ongoing commitment to prioritise safety on all of our sites.

“On Friday 7 April we took the decision to temporarily stand down the Marischal Square site in order to review and improve the arrangements in place for waste management and general site housekeeping.

“A member of the Health and Safety Executive coincidentally attended on the following day [April 8], as part of an unscheduled site inspection.

”We informed them of our decision to stand the site down the previous day, had identified and were addressing the storage and removal of site debris in question, and restated our intention to ensure our own high standards are upheld by everyone working on the site.”

A spokesperson for HSE said: “We can confirm that concerns were raised to us. Contractors at the site below have agreed to improvements highlighted by the HSE when we visited the site in Aberdeen earlier this month.”

According to the HSE, improvements at the scheme relate to the storage of waste materials.

 

 

Have your say

You must sign in to make a comment

Please remember that the submission of any material is governed by our Terms and Conditions and by submitting material you confirm your agreement to these Terms and Conditions. Links may be included in your comments but HTML is not permitted.